What are Nigerian Foods High in Proteins? I am writing this post based on popular demand from some of my readers who asked me to write a list of few Nigerian foods that are high in proteins. May be your body is low or protein deficient or you need more proteins during your stay in Nigeria or if you reside in Nigeria, this post is for you. Just keep reading, implement what you’ve read and you will see how your proteins will boost up through the Nigerian foods with high proteins which are listed below.
What is Proteins? Proteins are food which helps to build the body and they are referred to as body building food. Unlike carbohydrates that give energy, proteins help build the body, improves the skin and also repairs worn out tissues. Proteins also make people taller and healthy but lack of proteins can be very severe, that is why you need a list of Nigerian foods high in proteins.
The Nigerian foods that are high in proteins either among the Igbo tribe, Yoruba tribe or Hausa tribes includes;
1. Beans/Soya beans: Beans contains high amount of proteins and the more you eat beans, the healthier you become. But in infants, soya beans is preferable because it helps baby grow rapidly and supply amino acid which helps them grow faster. Beans is a popular Nigerian food that can also make people increase in height but majorly it builds the body cells, organs and tissues.
3. Snail Meat: If you have ever eat food containing snail like vegetable cooked with snail, you are eating healthily and more importantly, snail meat contains high amount of proteins which also helps build the body. The good thing about snail meat is that it is a Nigerian food with high amount of proteins with no fat, sugar and cholesterol. It is the healthiest food among the Nigerian food due to the fact that it also cures other diseases like hypertension, high blood pressure, diabetes, cardiac arrest, stroke and may more.
4. Fish: Not only in Nigeria, fish is rated among the world healthiest food with lot of protein contents and minerals like zinc. It can be prepared as fish pepper soups, eaten with vegetable, fried, boiled, or roasted. Whichever way you like it, fishes like catfish is an example of Nigerian food that is very high in proteins.
Read Also - 10 Nigerian Foods Low in Cholesterol
5. Milk: Milk is not only found in Nigeria but all around the world. Milk is also rated among the world healthiest food with lot of protein contents and minerals like calcium for strong bone and healthy teeth. It can be consumed raw; it can be added to tea, eaten with bread and mixed with other carbohydrates like oats, pap’s etc to form a balance diet.
6. Egg: This is a diary food which contains high amount of proteins like milk and fish. Egg also contains vitamin A which help smooth-ens the skin and for clear vision. It enhances growth in children and its being known to increase the body metabolism rate.
7. Millet: Another Nigerian food high in protein is millet. Although millet is a grain with carbohydrate but it also contains proteins. It can be grinded into liquid form and being consumed by all the tribes in Nigeria. Millet also boost growth in children due to it high protein contents and can also boost fertility in adults. It contains low cholesterol, it is low in calorie, it contains high fiber contents and one of the best foods in Nigeria rich in proteins
8. Wheat: Another Nigerian food high in protein is wheat. Although wheat is also a grain with some amount of carbohydrate but it also contains proteins. It can be grind into liquid form, converted to solid food, eating with vegetables and being consumed by all the tribes in Nigeria. Wheat also boosts growth in children, it can be consumed by diabetic people, it can also be suitable for people with high blood pressure due to it high protein contents and can also boost fertility in adults. Wheat contains low cholesterol, it is low in calorie, and it contains high fiber contents and one of the best foods in Nigeria rich in proteins
9. Bambara groundnut: Bambara groundnut is a grain just like wheat and millet which also contains proteins as well. It is mainly grown is some part of West Africa like Nigeria and Ghana and it is eaten as swallow food mostly by the Igbo people. Based on the fact I gathered about this grain, bambara groundnut also helps build the body which is the primary function of a protein while still remaining as a carbohydrates with lot of values. So, if you need a highly protein rich food in Nigeria or as a Nigerian, eat bambara groundnut
10. Sea Foods: I think the best and highly protein rich Nigerian food includes the sea foods which are periwinkles, crabs, shrimps, lobsters, crayfish, prawn and many more. These foods are healthy and they also contain other minerals like zinc and vitamins. Some people eat sea foods with swallows and vegetables while other preferred them in stew or fried.
11. Pigeon Pea: Another highly rich protein food in Nigeria is Pigeon pea which is healthy and very medicinal to the body. It contains high amount of proteins and can aid digestion, boost energy, aids immunity and it increase body metabolism. It contains no starch, it is cholesterol free which means it can’t make you fat and it can be prepared easily as solid or swallow food, liquid food or added to other food.
In Conclusion, the food listed and described above are the best, healthy and highly rich protein food in Nigeria. Although there are other foods that are also high in protein but based on my research, i gather that these protein foods are the best and that is why these foods were able to be listed the best 10 Nigerian food rich in proteins.